Tuesday, December 8, 2009

In Wisconsin Winter has arrived

Tuesday Dec. 8



Ahhhh Today is placing us into a believable winter which up till now our world was brown and gray. What a delight to see the edge of the woods outlined with curves and swirls of the white fluffy stuff again.

The antique chicken coop also images itself dressed up as if it is going to town with a bran new coat of winter. Of course it will stay with me, but in a look, a look of cheer. Seems like it is new again instead of from the 40's

There is no sign of my gals, the hens clucking and scratching in the large outside pen. Tucked inside with plenty to eat, pine shavings to shuffle around in, and 13 roommates reminding each other what pecking order they belong to. A mixture of Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Brahma Plymoth Rock, and Buff Orpington until the past couple weeks blessed me with 9 eggs a day. I gave my extras away to friends and family but now getting stingy with only three greeting me daily. Cold, short daylight hours have proven the expert's books are right.



I am what the local folks called a city slicker, but then I wonder when that name will change to one of them, maybe never. We have been here in the extraordinary happenings of an ordinary day for 25 years. There is no hum drum happenings taking place. Each day greets us with tales of woe or giggles of delight. I have found with 4 horses, variety of chickens, 4 cats, an Airdale (dog), two cockatiels and of course Dick my partner, best friend husband for 47 years, growing old or what some call aging, has caught me by surprise.



We play in a setting of 27 acres, some woods, a babbling brook, 12 acre field a farmer uses, and close to 3 acres of perennial gardens I put in before I drifted into horses and chickens. Being a Master Gardener since 1986 has taught me a lot about flowers. Wish there was classes on Chickens. It is a new adventure started last spring when we bought the 16 x 10 foot coop and had it moved here. We drove to Portage and bought adult chickens and also Pardyville where we got the rest. Hours with my nose in chicken books I purchased and discovering the web sight Chicken Keeping Secrets, among others has put light on the end of the tunnel so to speak.



As with you, my experiences keep getting broader, life richer. Blessings to you all......



Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment